Our online exhibits can be viewed at anytime!
Based on historic photographs and archival documents from the CCHS Archive and Research Center, these exhibits highlight some of the most interesting people, places and events in Chevy Chase history.
Minnie E. Brooke: A Postcard View of History Learn about a Chevy Chase entrepreneur who capitalized on the postcard craze that swept the nation in the first decades of the twentieth century.
Minnie's Historic Postcards A seven-minute slide show exhibit of Minnie Brooke's early 1900s postcards of scenes from around DC.
The Schools of Section Four Learn about the earliest schools in the Town of Chevy Chase (Section Four).
Chevy Chase Junior College "The School for Girls," as locals called it, provided private education for girls and young women from 1903 to 1950. CCHS has a rich collection of materials donated by Julie Rude Thomas, including yearbooks and brochures, as well as postcards, scrapbooks, and a collection of dance cards.
Chevy Chase Lake Amusement Park This exhibit explores the rich history of the amusement park located at the end of the Connecticut Avenue streetcar line. Operating from 1894 to 1937, it was a popular destination for picnics, promenades, pony rides, and arcade games. In the evenings, visitors enjoyed band concerts and dancing under the stars.
Cummings Lane: From Farm Lane to Suburban Street, 1848-1948. Trace the shift from an agricultural landscape to a suburban community through the stories of the families who lived along Cummings Lane.
Young Reporters: Chevy Chase Children's Newspapers in the 1930s and 1970s. Three newspapers. the Thornapple Street News, the Shepherd Street News, and the Leland Street Sunday News, provide a glimpse of childhood in the '30s and '70s. From pets and sports to the national news, these "young reporters" capture everyday life on their streets and in their community.
Another new online exhibit coming soon!
"Chevy Chase Reads: Readers Build Community at the Turn of the 20th Century"
The CCHS Online Exhibits are funded in part by grants from the Arts and Humanities Council of Montgomery County, Maryland.