Slideshow of Minnie E. Brooke's Historic Postcards
In the following seven-minute presentation, Joseph J. Valachovic and Harold V. Silver shared their postcard collections of the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia areas. All of the images were published by Chevy Chase resident, Minnie E. Brooke, and could be purchased in her downtown DC souvenir shop in the early 1900s. The music heard is Eubie Blake's famous Chevy Chase Foxtrot. Created by Evelyn Gerson.
Documenting Chevy Chase
To our knowledge, Brooke published only seven scenes of Chevy Chase, MD:
- Chevy Chase Circle Aerial
- Chevy Chase Circle Ground Shot Looking North up Connecticut Avenue
- Brookeville Road~Bradley Lane Looking East from Connecticut Avenue
- Standpipe Water Tower at Rosemary Street Circle
- Hayes Manor
- All Saints Episcopal Church
All of them were taken between 1900 and 1910, and can be seen at the beginning of this video.