The mission of the Chevy Chase Historical Society is to collect, record, interpret and share materials relating to the history of Chevy Chase, Maryland, one of America’s first streetcar suburbs. The organization provides resources for historical research and sponsors a variety of programs and activities to foster knowledge and appreciation of the community’s history.
The Chevy Chase Historical Society is a non-profit organization of approximately 650 members. The Historical Society employs a Director of its Archive and Research Center to provide professional care of its collections and to work with the Board of Directors. With the support of grant funding, CCHS also hires graduate interns from local museum studies and library science programs. The rest of the staff is volunteer. CCHS volunteers preserve, catalog, and maintain the collection of maps, photographs, documents, artifacts, and books that are housed in the Historical Society’s Archive and Research Center at 8401 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 1010, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815.
A major capital campaign that concluded in 2005 raised more than $370,000, enabling CCHS to establish the Archive and Research Center and to fund ongoing programs and operations. The Historical Society has engaged in a number of successful projects since then, including the production of an award-winning documentary on the history of Chevy Chase, a Heritage Fair for the community, a book about Chevy Chase, and numerous lectures, programs, online exhibits, and tours.